Monday, July 12, 2010

My Love Will Be With You


My Love Will Be With You. Laura Krauss Melmed. Illustrated by Henri Sorensen. 2009. HarperCollins. 24 pages.

Said the father eagle to his child, "Someday you'll sour through a high mountain pass."
Said the father lion to his child, "Someday you'll hunt in the long waving grass."
Said the father otter to his child, "Someday you'll fish in the crystal clear stream."


My favorite thing about this one? The illustrations. I loved, loved, loved the illustrations by Henri Sorensen. They were so beautiful, so sweet, so right for this book. They complemented the text very well.

The messages of this one are sweet and inspirational. The delivery of those messages come through various animals--otters, lions, eagles, badgers, pandas, etc. I'm not sure I loved the focus on the animals. This is just something that I've noticed in reading children's books. Authors often talk about families, about values, about life using animal characters instead of having human characters. I'm not sure why this is. It just is.


© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: