Wednesday, June 28, 2023

144. Where I Live


Where I Live: Poems About My Home, My Street, and My Town. Edited by Paul B. Janeczko. Illustrated by Hyewon Yum. 2023. [March] 48 pages. [Source: Library] [Poetry collection for young children]

First sentence: Home
East side, West side,
all around the town.
Which side
is the best side?
Wherever you sit down
to eat your supper, pet your cat,
do homework, watch TV.
Any old place
that's your home base
is where you want to be.
X.J. Kennedy

Premise/plot: Where I Live is a poetry collection edited by Paul B. Janeczko. The poems are gathered together into three sections, "Home," "Street," and "Town." Each poem is illustrated. Many poems celebrate the ordinary, the little moments that make up life.

My thoughts: Poetry collections are interesting. I always find a few to love. I rarely love them one and all. Such is the case with this new collection. There were a handful of poems that I definitely enjoyed reading. I thought they worked really well. I could see using them in the classroom, sharing them with young ones. 

One of my favorite visual poems is by Nicholas Virgilio.
"Now the swing is still: 
a suspended tire
centers the autumn moon."

The illustration shows a tire swing with a centered moon. It's a beautiful image.

I loved Ice Cream Truck by Irene Latham
On summer Mondays
we listen
for the jinglesong
that holds
half notes
of winter:
fudgesicle
orangesicle
pushpop
bombpop
firecracker
snowball
and ice cream
on a stick
that drips
unless
your tongue
is swift
like mine.

The Walk
Crunching my boots
through another snowstorm,
each footprint a temporary tattoo
against the frosted prairie.
~ Charles Waters


 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: