Tuesday, June 13, 2023

132. The Underdogs: Catch A Cat Burglar


The Underdogs #1: The Underdogs: Catch a Cat Burglar. Kate and Jol Temple. Illustrated by Shiloh Gordon. 2021. 160 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Let me tell you how many cats there used to be in THE UNDERDOG DETECTIVE AGENCY.... Zero. Zilch. Not one. Then along came Fang. One eye. Three teeth. A kink in her tail. You wouldn't pick her as a Dogtown detective, would you?

Premise/plot: Fang is a cat. Fang was raised in Dogtown. Fang wants to join the Underdogs Detective Agency. But she is a cat. Oh no! (I jest). Since Fang is the only applicant and there is a cat burglar on the loose, Fang gets to join. Can Fang (a cat) catch a cat burglar.

My thoughts: Probably a large part of my finding this meh, meh, super-meh was mood. (Though I don't recall being in a mood when I sat down with the book. Clearly by the end, I wasn't feeling it.) If you don't find it absolutely hilarious that a CAT--get this a CAT, an actual CAT--wants to work with dogs and catch a CAT BURGLAR, then this one probably won't be your cup of tea. The book's really counting on you finding this CAT trying to fit in with dogs thing to be an absolute RIOT. 

Fang (and company) do have a case to solve. And this case does involve--potentially--an actual cat as a cat burglar. This number one suspect is also a cat star. But a suspect is just that--a suspect who is innocent until proven guilty. Will the cat be the actual cat burglar? Maybe. Maybe not.

Again, I think the book is counting on you finding a CAT to be a CAT burglar to be a delightful hoot. 

I am not the intended audience (obviously). I somehow or other got in a mood while reading this one. It probably isn't the book's fault. Kids may love this one. Especially all the pee jokes. (Dogs peeing is hilarious, don't you know!) 

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: