Sunday, June 4, 2023

125. Audrey L and Audrey W: Best Friends-ish


Audrey L. and Audrey W. Best Friends-ish (Book 1) Carter Higgins. Illustrated by Jennifer K. Mann. 2021. 184 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: At the beginning of the school year, Audrey had been super-duper-duper sure that second grade would be twice as fun as first. She was ready.

Premise/plot: Audrey L is having a harder time than she'd like adjusting to second grade. When Audrey W joins the class--and is assigned to her table/group--things get interesting. Audrey is her official welcome ambassador. Are the two Audrey's more similar than different? Do they have potential to be best friends? This is a situational school drama-comedy. Audrey L definitely is having a time of it. (I believe the book spans a week or possibly two. Not much longer.) 

My thoughts: I LOVED the narration in this one. Audrey L is given quite the unique voice and I absolutely loved getting to know HER. I thought it was super-relatable; it had humor and heart. I look forward to reading book two.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: