Friday, April 21, 2023

94. Meet Danitra Brown


Meet Danitra Brown. Nikki Grimes. Illustrated by Floyd Cooper. 1994. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: You oughta meet Danitra Brown,
the most splendiferous girl in town.
I oughta know, 'cause she's my friend.
She's not afraid to take a dare.
If something's hard, she doesn't care.
She'll try her best, no matter what.
She doesn't mind what people say.
She always does things her own way.
Her spirit's old, my mom once said.
I only know I like her best
'cause she sticks out from all the rest.
She's only she--Danitra Brown.

Premise/plot: Zuri Jackson, the protagonist, is sharing a collection of poems about her best, best, best, best, best friend, Danitra Brown. The book celebrates friendship and life (and youth). Each poem is illustrated by Floyd Cooper. 

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. There are more in the series. Sadly my library doesn't have the others. The illustrations capture such timeless 'small' moments in life. They are just a JOY. So expressive, so wonderful. The poems also celebrate the 'small' moments in life. Each poem highlights the friendship between these two girls--the ups and downs and everything in between.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: