Monday, April 17, 2023

92. Palace of Books


Palace of Books. Patricia Polacco. 2023. 56 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: It was a sunny day. 

Premise/plot: Patricia Polacco is sharing memories from her childhood in her newest book Palace of Books. As a young girl, she moved from the country [family farm] to a bigger city. She writes of going to school and discovering the library. But as a young child especially, she's drawn more to ART and NATURE (particularly BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS, MORE BIRDS) than to reading and writing. She has no interest in the children's section of the library--she doesn't want to read books--but she's super-drawn to the adult art section. The librarian befriends her and teaches her about John James Audubon and the Audubon Bird Club. 

My thoughts: I really wanted to love and adore this one. Patricia Polacco has written some of my favorite picture books (for older readers). Usually her picture books are super-text-heavy. (I don't mind a bit.) She tells (often) stories from her family tree. She writes what she knows, and knows what she writes. This fits in exactly with what she's done in the past. So if you are a fan of her books, then chances are you'll appreciate this one too.

My expectations were too high. I saw PALACE OF BOOKS and thought this would be a book about books, a book about the glory of books, a book about the magical wonder of discovering books, about libraries as being the place to discover your people, your place to belong, your home away from home. And, in part, I suppose it is. It does celebrate her relationship with one librarian. But what I wasn't expecting--because I didn't read the description at all--was birds, birds, birds, birds, birds, and more birds. I couldn't relate to wanting to learn more about birds, liking to bird-watch, drawing birds, etc. This hobby is the primary focus of the book. 

Reading is so subjective. I can appreciate many things about this one and still not personally love it.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: