Wednesday, April 12, 2023

88. A Fine, Fine School


A Fine, Fine School. Sharon Creech. Illustrated by Harry Bliss. 2001. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Mr. Keene was a principal who loved his school. Every morning he strolled down the hallway and saw the children in their classes. He saw them learning shapes and colors and numbers and letters. He saw them reading and writing and drawing and painting. He saw them making dinosaurs and forts and pyramids. "Oh!" he would say. "Aren't these fine children? Aren't these fine teachers? Isn't this a fine, fine school?" 

Premise/plot: What happens when Mr. Keene, the school principal, gets CARRIED away with the idea of having a fine, fine school??????? Mr. Keene is so incredibly proud of how wonderfully FINE his school is, that he always has to push, to strive to make things even better. But is there such a thing as TOO much????

My thoughts: I really LOVED this one so much. I can't believe I'm only now discovering this one. I had no idea Sharon Creech ever wrote picture books. So what led me to seek this one out? to discover it? I saw that there is a sequel coming SMART, SMART SCHOOL. The premise to that one sounds awesome. I knew I needed to go back and pick this one up.

This is a funny picture book that I'd recommend to teachers and students.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: