Tuesday, April 4, 2023

81. Pocket Full of Sads


Pocket Full of Sads. Brad Davidson. Illustrated by Rachel Mas Davidson. 2023. [April] 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: My heart feels heavy, like my pocket's full of sads. Like when you get a new toy and it breaks on the first day. Or when you wait for your best friend to sit with you and they sit with someone else. I don't know why I feel this way, but it won't stop.

Premise/plot: Bear has a pocket full of sads. Rabbit, his friend, stops by ready and eager to go fishing. But Bear just isn't ready to spring out of the door. Rabbit tries, and tries, and tries, and tries, and tries, and tries (her best) to cheer Bear up. But it is only in her silent companionship that Bear begins to feel better. 

My thoughts: I like this one. Rabbit is a lovable friend. I don't blame her for her busy activism in trying to cheer Bear up. But she is a little too much to handle. I'm glad that Bear didn't lose patience with Rabbit. (It might have been so easy to just yell at her to go away.) Bear and Rabbit seem like good folk.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: