Monday, November 22, 2021

167. Little Red and the Cat Who Loved Cake


Little Red and the Cat Who Loved Cake. Barbara Lehman. 2021. [November] 64 pages. [Source: Library]

Little Red and the Cat Who Loved Cake is a wordless picture book. Mostly. There are technically words in this narrative free picture book, but the words are on signs, shirts, etc. It appears to be set in a fractured fairy tale world where all fairy tale characters mix and mingle. Little Red is delivering a cake to Grandma. But Little Red's CAT comes along--secretly or not so secretly. The cat is fairly insistent to be included in any eating of cake.

If I had known BEFORE borrowing from the library that it was a wordless picture book, I would have not checked it out. To be honest, I need words in my stories. It isn't that it is impossible for stories to be told without words, but all the best of the best stories have words. Even if the text is super-simple and just a few words per page--think of Max's communication skills in Max and Ruby--I need words.

But I was drawn to this one because of the word CAT in the title.

I thought the super-playful and "sneaky" cat was cute. Is the cat trying to steal cake enough of a gimmick to make me love a wordless picture book???? Probably not.
 

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers.

No comments: