Wednesday, November 17, 2021

164. Dragon's Merry Christmas


Dragon's Merry Christmas. Dav Pilkey. 1993. 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: One cold morning Dragon went out to find the perfect Christmas tree.

Premise/plot: Dav Pilkey's Dragon stars in FOUR stories in Dragon's Merry Christmas. The stories in this Christmas-themed collection are: "The Perfect Christmas Tree," "The Candy Wreath," "Mittens," and "Merry Christmas, Dragon." The stories all take place during the holidays, but aren't directly connected to one another. (Perhaps with the exception of Mittens and Merry Christmas, Dragon.) Dragon's personality (to know him is to love him) shines through in all the stories.

My thoughts: I haven't read ALL the Dragon books. I've read three. I can honestly say that I do love and adore Dragon. My personal favorite in this collection is THE CANDY WREATH. I know people overuse the word awesome. Yet, I'm tempted to use it when gushing about this story! I think it will appeal to children and adults alike. In The Candy Wreath, Dragon makes a wreath out of candy. But when he hangs it on his wall, a few pieces fall off. OOPS. What's a dragon to do? He must eat the candy, of course!!! The following pages are PURE DELIGHT as readers learn the fate of the wreath. All the stories are enjoyable.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: