Thursday, August 20, 2020

87. Rider in the Night

Rider in the Night: A Tale of Sleepy Hollow (Time Spies #6) Candice Ransom. 2007. 119 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: "I bet that's her!" Mattie Chapman watched a strawberry-red truck roll up the dusty driveway.

Premise/plot: Alex, Mattie, Sophie are back for their sixth time travel adventure in Rider In the Night: A Tale of Sleepy Hollow. As the subtitle suggests, these siblings are heading straight into The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. The three will meet Ichabod Crane before his scary ride. Can the story have a happier fate?

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would. You see, I don't really "do" Halloween. I don't. I don't typically read Halloween books. But this is technically set in July! So perhaps that's why it works for me! Or perhaps this story is familiar enough through a cartoon that I'm not horribly bothered by it. (The Adventures of Ichabod and Mister Toad.)

I won't say this is my favorite of the series. (Winchester is still a bit absent.) But I liked it.


© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: