Tuesday, August 11, 2020

84. The Story of the Wright Brothers

The Story of the Wright Brothers: A Biography Book for New Readers. Annette Whipple. 2020. 69 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Most people thought a flying machine would never work. For hundreds of years, people had been trying to figure out how to fly. Even the brilliant inventor Leonardo da Vinci had ideas about flight all the way back in the 1400s! That was more than 400 years before Wilbur and Orville Wright did the “impossible.”

Premise/plot: Annette Whipple has written a chapter book biography of Wilbur and Orville Wright.

My thoughts: I definitely enjoyed this biography! When I was growing up, I had two things I looked for in a nonfiction book--keep in mind this was for school reports and presentations. Did I say two things? I meant three. (Math was never my best subject). Does it have pictures? Does it have big print? And is it short? As an adult, I look for a lot more in books I read! But this one passes the childhood-me test and the adult-me test!

I enjoyed the narrative. I found it an interesting/captivating tale of two brothers working together, working hard, following their dreams, motivated by curiosity and wonder. I loved the perseverance. It had an age-appropriate amount of detail and information. It was neither too simple or simplistic or too complex and weighty.

I loved the timelines for each chapter!!! There is substantive back matter as well! Overall, I find this very well written.


© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: