Wednesday, April 24, 2019

The Unbudgeable Curmudgeon

The Unbudgeable Curmudgeon. Matthew Burgess. Illustrated by Fiona Woodcock. 2019. Random House. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: How do you budge an unbudgeable curmudgeon who really refuses to budge? You might ask the curmudgeon if he wouldn't mind scooching over a smidgen. Or you could distract the curmudgeon by changing the subject...

Premise/plot: What is a curmudgeon? The end papers provide the definition: "A bad-tempered, difficult, cranky person; a grouch." There are TWO curmudgeons in this one. The first is the brother; the second the sister. Apparently in trying to BUDGE a curmudgeon, she became one herself. (I'm not surprised!)

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I really like the narration. It's just fun to read aloud. I think this story is easy to relate to--no matter how old or young you are.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: