Monday, April 29, 2019

Board book: Mama Tiger, Tiger Cub

Mama Tiger, Tiger Cub. Steve Light. 2019. Candlewick Press. 16 pages. [Source: Review Copy]

First sentence: Mama Tiger/ Bright Sky/ Mama Tiger/ Zigzag River/ Mama Tiger/ Slippery Fish/

Premise/plot: Does this one have a plot? If it does--and I'm not saying it doesn't--it's up to readers to piece the dots together. Or to phrase it a different way, it is up to readers to supply THE VERBS. The book follows MAMA TIGER. Tiger Cub makes an appearance by the end of the book.

My thoughts: I like simple. I can do simple. Word books for little ones do not require verbs or a story. Alphabet books do not require verbs or a story. Counting books do not require verbs or a story. This one, however, I felt could have benefited from a little more complexity. 

Perhaps this one is best for tiger enthusiasts with big imaginations.

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: