Monday, April 8, 2019

Mine!

Mine! Sue Heap. 2014. Candlewick Press. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Once there was a little girl named Amy. She loved her blankie very much. "Mine," she said. "My blankie. Mine." Amy also loved her bear, her bunny, and her bird. "Mine," said Amy.

Premise/plot: It was a perfectly perfect day for Amy until....Zack and Jack--the twins--wanted to play with HER bear and bunny. She might have held firm and continued to not share if her heart hadn't melted for Baby Joe who bonded with her bird.
"Bird," said a little voice. It was Baby Joe. In his hands he held Bird, all teeny, tiny, and fluffy. "Tweet!" went Bird as Baby Joe squeezed him and kissed him again and again.
Not that her heart melted all at once. Not that it didn't take effort. It did.
She gave Bird to Baby Joe. "Mine AND yours," she said.
Note she did NOT in any way shape or form GIVE the twins her bear and bunny. But she allowed them to hold them. There is a BIG distinction.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I'm going to assume that Zack and Jack and Baby Joe may be relations--brothers or cousins perhaps. The story--which occurs completely without adult intervention, adults stepping in to say 'you must share' or 'let's set a timer'--seems like it's set within the family home. Just a guess on my part. (I don't think it actually matters.)

I don't think EVERY toy--possession--has to be shared. I think some sharing of some toys should be encouraged. But by no means all, all the time. I do think asking permission is always a good idea.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10


© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: