Monday, April 22, 2019

Board book: Animals

Animals: Early Learning at the Museum. British Museum. 2019. Candlewick Press. 22 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: camels, beetle, fish, cats, parrots, lion, ducks,

Premise/plot: Board books about animals abound. This one is unique, in my opinion, because of the illustrations. The illustrations are photographs of objects from The British Museum. The text is super-simple--just animal names. Each spread introduces an animal or two or three. The index at the back of the book gives more information for parents about the objects photographed. The dog--featured on the cover--is a toy dog from Denmark, circa 1934.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I loved reading the index and finding out more. One of the oldest objects comes from Egypt--it's a green glazed Hippopotamus--circa 1800 BCE. I found this an interesting read.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10


© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: