Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Cat Pals

Cat Pals. Pat Jacobs. 2017. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Cats have lived with humans since the Ancient Egyptians. Cats were first welcomed into homes to keep snakes away and protect grain stores from rats and mice. Cats are predators, so they need to eat meat. Their bodies have evolved into expert hunting machines.

Premise/plot: This book boasts that it has 'everything you need to know about your best pal.' If it doesn't quite succeed it comes close.

This nonfiction book features a table of contents, a quiz and quiz answers, glossary and index.
  • Your cat from head to tail
  • Cat breeds
  • Choosing your cat
  • Cozy kitty
  • Settling in
  • Catering for kitty
  • Day-to-day care
  • Health and safety
  • Cat behavior
  • Communication
  • Training
  • Fun and Games
 My thoughts: I really liked this one. I loved all the pictures. I did. I found the kittens and cats to be ADORABLE. I thought it was packed with kid-friendly information. It was clearly written and well-organized. The layout is just fun. (I'm not sure nonfiction books were this well done when I was growing up.)

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: