Thursday, July 26, 2018

Peppa Gives Thanks

Peppa Gives Thanks. (Peppa Pig) Meredith Rusu. Illustrated by Eone. 2018. Scholastic. 24 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: It is a lovely, sunny morning. Peppa and Suzy are having a tea party in the garden. "I brought my teddy to join us!" says Peppa. "Did you bring your owl, Suzy?" "No," says Suzy. "I brought my new Mr. Super Snuggles. He's the best bear in the whole world."

Premise/plot: What will happen when Peppa comes home WANTING a new teddy bear, a super-super special teddy bear just like her friend Suzy has? Well, if you've read the title you can guess that Peppa will learn a little something about being thankful for what she has. What else does Peppa have to be thankful for besides her teddy?

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this Peppa Pig story. As I said a few reviews ago, some Peppa Pig books have an actual story. This is one of them. It does have a strong lesson in it--what it means to be thankful, intentionally being thankful and expressing it.

Mr. Super Snuggles doesn't sound super to me. I would not want a teddy bear to sing or say I love you. I especially, especially would NOT want a teddy bear to have glowing eyes. I do not want my teddy bear to have a goa'uld.

I like the lesson on gratitude. I do. And there are many reasons why Peppa Pig probably doesn't really need another teddy bear--at least not right this minute. But. I do want to point out that you can have more than one teddy bear. It's not bad to have more than one teddy bear. Hearts can expand to love many, many, many special toys--or special bears.

This paperback book does include a 'thankful card.'

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: