Monday, July 30, 2018

Board book: I Am A Zamboni Machine

I Am a Zamboni Machine. 2018. Scholastic. 8 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I am a Zamboni machine. I drive around and around the rink. I make the ice clean and smooth. I scrape off bumps with my blade. I spray down hot water to leave a perfect sheet of ice.

Premise/plot: This is a novelty-shaped board book for little hockey lovers. It explains what a zamboni machine does in simple sentences. (I'm not sure why the driver has a puppy dog with him!)

My thoughts: Shape books can be great fun. The pages tend to be easier to turn. The unique edges offer even more for little ones to chew. I am so relieved that the author didn't attempt to tell this story in rhyme! The only thing that would make this one better would be if the wheels turned too.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: