Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Board book: Bathtime Mathtime

Board book: Bathtime Mathtime. Danica McKellar. Illustrated by Alicia Padron. 2018. Random house. 20 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence:
Bathtime Mathtime, 1, 2, 3
Counting helps me add, you see!
Let's find out just how it's done.
Bathtime Mathtime starts with 1!
Bathtime Mathtime, 1, 2, 3
Getting in the bath is slippery!
Careful feet for me and you.
One foot, other foot--that makes 2!
Premise/plot: Bathtime Mathtime is a board book concept book that teaches or illustrates simple addition facts: 1+1=2, 2+1=3, 3+1=4, 4+1=5. It's set, of course, in a bathroom. It stars a naked baby, two puppies, some rubber duckies, some bubbles, and one rhyming care-giver.

My thoughts: My mother would be the first to tell you that sometimes I over-think books. That might just be the case with this board book written by a celebrity. Am I slightly hesitant to like it because a) it's about math b) it's written by a celebrity c) the rhymes are hit/miss and at times slightly awkward.

I liked the beginning. The initial rhymes on the first page worked for me. I am not a fan of the three/slippery line. But I am picky when it comes to rhythm and rhyme. Perhaps obnoxiously so. But here's where the over-thinking kicks in. WHY is the baby getting a bath with TWO puppies. What caregiver would say YES that sounds like an awesome way to spend the evening. It just seems like a big, big job to do for the fun of it. Also I'm thinking that the water looks way too deep for the baby--and the tiny puppies.

I think most readers would enjoy this one.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: