Friday, December 1, 2017

Pick a Pine Tree

Pick a Pine Tree. Patricia Toht. Illustrated by Jarvis. 2017. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Pick a pine tree from the lot--slim and tall or short and squat. One with spiky needle clumps, scaly bark, or sappy bumps. Long, straight limbs or branches bent--mmm! Just smell that piney scent!

Premise/plot: A family picks a pine tree and takes it home to decorate for the Christmas season. The story is told through rhyme.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. I do NOT like real trees. In fact, the idea of being in the same room with a real tree is terrifying because I'm so allergic. But I do love this cheerful story. The family has so much fun. Even the pet cat gets involved. It's hard not to like this one.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: