Sunday, December 24, 2017

A Christmas For Bear

A Christmas for Bear. Bonny Becker. Illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton. 2017. Candlewick Press. 48 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Bear had never had a real Christmas. He'd never had a tree with a sparkling star, or candy canes, or even gingerbread bears. But he'd read all about it. Clearly, the most important thing was pickles.

Premise/plot: A Christmas for Bear stars two familiar characters, Bear and Mouse. I would say that though this is part of a series, it can easily stand alone. Mouse and Bear are spending their first Christmas together.  But will it be a merry Christmas?! "Maybe" says Bear. One thing is for sure: Mouse is super-super-super eager to get to the PRESENTS.

My thoughts: I really LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this one. I love the character of Bear. Bear is so grumpy and yet lovable at the same time. I imagine this would be a joy to read aloud. Bear has some great lines. Lines like, "PICKLES AND POEMS!" bellowed Bear. "THAT'S THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT!" "Yes, Bear," sighed Mouse. The character of Mouse is also wonderful. I admit, I am more of a Mouse than a Bear.

Text: 4.5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4.5 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10


© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: