Saturday, December 23, 2017

How Does My Home Work?

How Does My Home Work? Chris Butterworth. Illustrated by Lucia Gaggiotti. 2017. [Oct. 24] Candlewick. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: You do neat things every day in your home. Flip the switch, and the light goes on. Turn on the faucet, and clean water comes out. Push a button, and the TV comes on. Take a drink from the refrigerator, and it's cool and fresh. These things seem like magic--but they're not. So how do they happen?

Premise/plot: How Does My Home Work? is a nonfiction picture book for young readers. Essentially, it answers three questions: "Where does electricity come from?", "Where does water come from?", and "Where does natural gas come from?". The text is straightforward and walks readers through complex concepts step by step.

My thoughts: I would definitely recommend this one for curious readers of all ages. Parents might find it helpful in answering some of their little ones' never-ending questions. Other books in the series include How Did That Get In My Lunchbox? and Where Did My Clothes Come From?

The illustrations have a quirky vintage/retro vibe.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10



© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: