Friday, September 24, 2010

My Garden


My Garden. Kevin Henkes. 2010. February 2010. HarperCollins. 28 pages.

My mother has a garden. I'm her helper. I water. I weed. And I chase away the rabbits so that they don't eat all the lettuce. It's hard work, and my mother's garden is very nice, but if I had a garden...

I loved this one. I'm a bit surprised that I loved it. But I did. I loved how imaginative it is, how expressive. Her garden is a silly kind of wonderful.

So what kind of garden does this little girl dream up?! Well...the carrots would be invisible--she doesn't like carrots--and the rabbits would be chocolate! Sound good? Then imagine a garden where planting jelly beans and sea shells would result in colorful and abundant plants of the same. (I LOVED seeing the jelly bean bush!)

This little girl is very charming. She is a very delightful narrator.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: