Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Wild, Wild Inside


The Wild, Wild Inside. Kate Feiffer. Illustrated by Laura Huliska-Beith. 2010. March 2010. Simon & Schuster. 32 pages.
Hello.
I know what my name will be.
My parents don't know yet.
They think my name might be Molly.
But they also think it might be James.
The problem is, they don't know if I'm a boy or a girl.
That's because I'm still in my mom's tummy.
The Wild, Wild Inside is a very silly, very imaginative, very unique story offering young readers a perspective of life inside the womb. This little one is definitely busy, busy, busy. But what does s/he do all day? It's not whatever mom is supposing that's for sure! As the mom-to-be gets questioned (by just about everybody) on what the baby is doing--at that moment--readers get the real story from the baby. Is s/he sleeping? No, s/he's doing yoga. Anyway, it's a very silly book.

I did think it interesting that the last page offers some real-life stories. Kids were asked, "What were you doing in your mom's tummy?" and the responses are just as silly as can be. In a good way.


© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: