Thursday, May 13, 2010

Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)


Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't) by Barbara Bottner. Illustrated by Michael Emberley. 2010. March 2010. Random House. 32 pages.

The star of this one is a little girl who does NOT like to read books. She does not quite understand what makes Miss Brooks--her librarian--so head-over-heels in love with books. Why does she get so excited? Excited enough to dress up in costumes for reading time? Why does she keep insisting that there is a book out there that she WILL love. That she (the girl, the reluctant reader) just hasn't found it yet. It may take a Book Week celebration for her to understand! Because during Book Week, each child has to share a book they love with the class. Will this reluctant reader find the book that is oh-so-right for her? A book to love at last?

I really enjoyed this one right from the start.

Miss Brooks is our librarian. She loves books. A lot.
She loves The Runaway Bunny. And Babar. And Where The Wild Things Are.
And The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

I ask Miss Brooks why she dresses up for reading circle.
"I want you to get as excited about books as I am," she says.
I think Miss Brooks gets a little too excited. And I bet her costumes itch.
I thought this one was a fun book!

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: