Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Caps For Sale


Caps For Sale by Esphyr Slobokina was one of my favorite favorite favorite books growing up. (My mom read this one aloud to me. I even have a recording (cassette tape) of her reading this aloud to me.) The book is a relatively simple one, a classic in the field of children's literature being originally published in 1940s. It is a "tale of a peddler, some monkeys, and their monkey business." Here is how it begins, "Once there was a peddler who sold caps. He carried them on top of his head. First he had his own checked cap, then a bunch of gray caps, brown caps, blue caps, and red caps on the very top. Caps! Caps for sale! Fifty cents a cap!" he called." One day when business was slow, he decided to take a walk in the country and take an afternoon (although technically it doesn't say if it was morning or afternoon) nap under a tree in the shade. And here is when the fun begins! Cue the monkeys! If you haven't read this one--or read it recently--I'd definitely say it was time for you to pick this one up!

Caps for Sale is practically perfect in every way.

Note: the image is NOT from the board book edition.

No comments: