Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Friend the Monster


Taylor, Eleanor. 2008. My Friend the Monster.

When Louis moves with his family to a new house, he makes a friend in the most unusual place. In his bedroom. Under his bed. His new friend, affectionately called "my monster" is tall, green, and only has one eye. The two begin to do most everything together. (Louis' parents even get the green monster a bed of his own.) But Louis' favorite thing to do with his new monster friend is make more friends.

It releases in mid-to-late July 2008.

Picture books are subjective. I know that. You know that. What one person loves, another person just can't see the appeal. It's not that I dislike My Friend the Monster. I don't. That is to say I don't dislike it. I just don't have much enthusiasm or affection for it. In other words, to borrow a phrase from my mother, that's the kind of book I'd check out at the library. I don't know to me when it comes to monster books it doesn't get better than There's A Wocket in My Pocket or What Was I Scared Of? both by Seuss. And it lacks the charm (in my own opinion) of Go To Bed Monster! But you and yours might feel differently. So read it for yourself and see. And here's the beauty of it. You can read books before you check them out at the library OR before you buy them at your local store. (I'd like to imagine everyone buying from a local independent bookstore.)

No comments: