Monday, January 9, 2023

9. A Boy Called Bat

 


A Boy Called Bat. Elana K. Arnold. 2017. 208 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Bixby Alexander Tam stared into the refrigerator, trying to decide what to eat. He knew that the longer he took, the more energy he was wasting, and Bixby Alexander Tam did not like to waste energy. But he also didn't like to eat leftovers, or cheese that had to be sliced, or any of the yogurt flavors in the fridge.

Premise/plot: Bat (Bixby Alexander Tam) is having a not-so-great day. In fact, he's on the verge of a meltdown. His day begins to improve when his mom--an animal rescuer presumably--brings home a newborn baby skunk. BAT is super-excited to take care of it. He loves animals and animal facts. As the days and weeks pass, Bat becomes bonded. Can they keep the baby skunk as their forever pet? Or will they have to let him go to another rescue/refuge center?

My thoughts: Bat is in an interesting character. I do believe he is on the spectrum. Everything about this one felt authentic--his relationships with his mom, his dad, his sister, his teacher, classmates, etc. I loved the ending. Nothing is tied neatly in a bow, but there is potential--great potential for Bat to be in a good, happy and healthy place. 

My sister recommended this one to me. She thought I would find Bat relatable. I did, I really did!!! So I'm very glad I checked this one out from the library. 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: