Friday, January 6, 2023

6. The Famously Funny Parrott


The Famously Funny Parrott: Four Tales from the Bird Himself. Eric Daniel Weiner. Illustrated by Brian Biggs. 2022. [December] 144 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I don't know about you, but my favorite breakfast treat, by far, is the chocolate chip waffle. I've had many sweet dreams about the chocolate chip waffle. The dream is simple. There is a waffle on a plate. I eat it. Very early on Saturday, April tenth, of this year, I was in the middle of one of these waffle dreams. But just as I lifted fork to beak, I heard a terrible knocking on my front door.

Premise/plot: There are four stories in this collection: "The Mystery of the Knocking Door," "The Case of the Missing Waffle Batter," "A Very Windy Wednesday," and "The Gigantic Waffle Emergency." All four stories star  Freddie Parrott and [Oswald Theodore] Peccary. What would Freddie do without Peccary his butler???? He'd be lost and hopeless that's what. The stories are all adventures/misadventures. 

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this animal fantasy. I loved, loved, loved meeting Parrott and Peccary. Their bantering relationship was super-fun. The adventures were silly and whimsical. The illustrations had me at hello. Seriously. I don't know if I would have loved the book quite so much with different illustrations. Overall, I thought both text and illustrations were absolutely delightful. 

The vibes are definitely old-fashioned(ish). Think the Wind in the Willows or any of Wodehouse stories starring Jeeves and Wooster.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: