Wednesday, January 4, 2023

4. Cat Crew (Dog Squad 2)


Cat Crew (Dog Squad #2) Chris Grabenstein. 2022. [October] 304 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The diabolical villain known as Cattywampus has stepped in one too many piles of dog poop on the sidewalks of Paris. It has made his soul bitter. His shoes stinky.

Premise/plot: Fred (and company) are still busy being heroes on and off screen. In the first book, Fred took the role of 'Duke' over from the original Duke. In the second book, Fred and his dog friends are having to make friends with cats [among other animals]. The success of the show "Dog Squad" is faltering. An animal show starring seven seals is threatening to take over the top spot. That show is even getting ready to launch a spin-off. To stay on the air, they need more viewers...and a spin-off show of their own. A spin-off starring CATS. But there's plenty of drama off-screen as well. In fact most of the drama occurs off-screen. There's an evil animal trainer who has decided to destroy Dog Squad. Can Fred [and company] step up to reveal all and save their show before it's canceled.

My thoughts: I enjoyed the first book [which I reviewed in December, I believe] well enough. I did. I like to try on new series. I like to be able to recommend new series. But I don't always feel the personal need to keep up with each new series that I start. For me, as an adult, I don't see me going on past this second book in the series. I think kids  may love, love, love the fact that this is a series book. The appeal may be in that it depicts both off-screen and on-screen drama. Half of the book focuses on the television show filming/acting and the other half focuses on their personal lives, friendships, and drama. 

There are plenty of characters--humans (trainers, owners, directors/producers, villains), dogs, cats, and occasionally another animal. (I believe there's a bird????) There is plenty of action. There is always something happening. 


 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: