Sunday, January 1, 2023

1. Marya Khan and the Incredible Henna Party


Marya Khan and the Incredible Henna Party. Saadia Faruqi. Illustrated by Ani Bushry. 2022. [October 18] 144 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First Sentence: It wasn't fair that my birthday party was exactly two days after Alexa R.'s. "Why couldn't I have been born a little early?" I groaned at breakfast on Monday.

Premise/plot: Marya Khan is about to turn eight. But her birthday party doesn't feel like a party. At least not in comparison. Her parents think an appropriate party includes inviting over a best friend, getting pizza, and watching a movie. Marya Khan dreams a little bigger. A LOT bigger. Something perhaps even bigger and better than her neighbor-and-classmate, Alexa, will have. Her storytelling gets a little out of control and catches the attention of Alexa who believes Marya really is having this awesome party--a henna party. Can Marya convince her parents to throw her a big(ger) party in just a few days???? Or will she be caught out in her lie????

My thoughts: I really loved this one. It was such a great early chapter book. I loved meeting Marya and her family. I loved meeting her friends. I loved how the tense relationship between Alexa and Marya was explored. [Marya is more than a little jealous. But Alexa doesn't seem to have any negative, mean feelings about her.] I loved that this story shows the importance of empathy. Lest you think it is all about morals and lessons, this one offers some humor as well.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: