Wednesday, September 28, 2022

151. Pizza! A Slice of History


Pizza! A Slice of History. Greg Pizzoli. 2022. [August] 56 pages. [Source: Library]
 

First sentence: This is pizza. And this is pizza. And so is this. And yes, even this is pizza. 

Premise/plot: Nonfiction picture book about the history of pizza--that is the premise of Greg Pizzoli's newest book. It is narrated (I suppose) by a little mouse who is surprisingly knowledgeable about pizza! 

My thoughts: Very bright and bold. Lots of contrast. Packed with information. (Well, relatively speaking.) I liked it. I did. I could see this being a big hit for readers in early to mid elementary grades. 

I think my favorite favorite favorite part was the spread on international pizza. It was just EXTREMELY packed with fascinating tidbits. Like, "In Japan, people sometimes top their pizza with mayo jaga--a combination of potato, bacon, and mayonnaise." Or "In Brazil, it's not uncommon to see green peas on pizza!"

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: