Tuesday, September 13, 2022

140. Just Right Jillian


Just Right Jillian. Nicole D. Collier. 2022. [February] 224 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: It's all Rashida's fault. Well, my Mama says don't say that. "Never start a story with the other person," she says. But sometimes you gotta start with the other person to tell the story. Only this is not a story story. It's the truth. 

Premise/plot: Just Right Jillian is a coming of age novel starring an awesome (but super shy) heroine, Jillian. She's made a promise to her grandmother (before she died) that she would try to come out of her shell, that she would try to speak up and speak out, to be her truest self. Jillian sees participating in the Mind Bender (the school's biggest [academic] competition) as a way to keep her word. But it won't be easy for Jillian to learn to speak up. She may know the answer; she may know the RIGHT answer. But speaking up and saying it aloud is another thing. 

Just Right Jillian is the perfect blend of home and school life. Readers get a chance to see Jillian at home (with her parents) and at school (with her teacher and classmates).

My thoughts: I love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love this one. I love how the character's growth and development parallels that of the classroom's project--hatching chicks from eggs. I love the narration and writing. I love the story. I love the characters. I love how everything is JUST RIGHT. 

This novel deserves all the love and attention. I don't know that it will receive it come award time, but it's won my heart.

Quotes:

My heart was safe with her. "You'll grow out of shyness, Jilly," she said more than once. "But don't hide! Being shy is one thing. Hiding is something else." I never really knew what she meant by hiding. Until today. Hiding means you're lying. You know what your heart wants, and you're scared, so you do the opposite. Hiding hurts. A lot. 

At school, I don't think my classmates really see me, either. Maybe no one can. Except Ms. W. She has x-ray vision. What I wanna know is, does she see a winner or a loser? Or something in between?

How do you stop yourself from disappearing? Do you wear something special? Do you grow out of it and wake up brave? Do you just hope for the best and see what happens? Maybe tomorrow will be different. Maybe tomorrow, they will see me. Maybe tomorrow, I will be brave. 

Today I would not blend in with everyone else. Today I would be Jillian in Purple and Pockets.

I had on Purple and Pockets, so all was not lost.

The toughest battle, the most important one, is always the one inside.


© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: