Wednesday, September 21, 2022

146. Haylee and Comet: A Trip Around the Sun


Haylee and Comet: A Trip Around the Sun. Deborah Marcero. 2022. [January] 72 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Haylee! Haylee! Come quick! What is it? I don't know. It looks like a tiny comet! Oh! That's not a comet. That's a caterpillar. 

Premise/plot: Haylee (a girl) and Comet (a comet) are best, best, best friends. These two are starring in their second adventure. In this one, these two explore what it means to change and grow. There are several stories within this early graphic novel chapter book. These stories are "The Cocoon," "Snow Cone," and "Growing Up." Each story has a page that tags on some nonfiction facts.

My thoughts: I definitely enjoyed this second book. I think I might even like it more than the first book. These two friends are so fun to spend time with. I liked how the same theme was carried out through all three stories. There were a few places with some depth. For example, in the story called "Snow Cone," the two enjoy snow cones on a very hot day. Long story short, they melt. They talk about how the snow cones changed. Comet then notes, "Change is messy." She adds, "Yep. Almost always." That is a very true observation. The text worked for me.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: