Sunday, June 26, 2022

74. Who Was Johnny Cash?


Who Was Johnny Cash? Jim Gigliotti. Illustrated by Gregory Copeland. 2022. [June] 112 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: J.R. Cash burst through the back door of the family's house in Dyess, Arkansas, one day in 1947. As usual, he was singing.

Premise/plot: One of the newest titles in this biography series by Penguin is of Johnny Cash. (I've always called them "big head" biographies. But apparently they are Who HQ biographies). What you see is what you get--no big surprises. This is a biography of singer Johnny Cash written for an mid-elementary school audience. This one--like all the others that ever were or ever shall be--are heavily illustrated. 

My thoughts: I never knew I liked Johnny Cash--no, loved Johnny Cash--until I read G. Neri's picture book biography Hello, I'm Johnny Cash. After reading the picture book, I began listening to Johnny Cash's music and discovering his work album by album. I love so many songs. I liked this biography. Definitely more text than the picture book. Still illustrated. I think one of my favorite, favorite things about this one was the illustrations.

I'm not super familiar with all the titles in this series. I've just read a handful. But I do like this one. 

 

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: