Friday, June 3, 2022

63. The Pigeon Will Ride the Roller Coaster


The Pigeon Will Ride the Roller Coaster. Mo Willems. 2022. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Roller coasters! I have been aquiver with anticipation--ever since I first heard about them...ten minutes ago! Riding will not be easy. 

Premise/plot: Pigeon is back in a new picture book! (I am refraining myself from adding six thousand exclamation points.) In this newest Mo Willems book, our beloved Pigeon is preparing to ride...a roller coaster. Will it offer ALL the thrills that he's expecting???? 

My thoughts: I love, love, love, love, love, love, love this picture book. Is this my absolute favorite in the series? Probably not my number one. But definitely in my top three. What I love about Mo Willems--in general--and in this book specifically, is that every word seems to perfectly belong. Every single page has a just-right feel to it. The story has great pacing. I happened to love, love, love the climax of this one. 

Definitely recommend this one. I recommend ALL the Pigeon books. I do. I especially love Mo Willems when it comes to his series. (I do tend to like his work more often than not.) I do tend to GUSH. But to be fair, Pigeon feels like a FRIEND at this point. And I'd not really expected *more* adventures with him. So this was just a DELIGHT.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: