Tuesday, June 21, 2022

73. The Sweetest Scoop


The Sweetest Scoop: Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Revolution. Lisa Robinson. Illustrated by Stacy Innerst. 2022. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Close your eyes and imagine holding an ice cream cone. Now take a lick...What does it taste like? Chocolate? vanilla? strawberry? A cool swim on a summer day? What about Wavy Gravy, Truffle Kerfuffle, or Chubby Hubby? What's the scoop on those wacky flavors?! Let's find out...

 Premise/plot: The story of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream begins rightly with Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. These two boys met in 1963 when they were twelve... It is a story that celebrates food, friendship, invention, and to some extent the joy of living. 

My thoughts: I didn't know I needed this book. I liked the narrative of this one (until I didn't). I loved that it was packed with information. It was entertaining and informative. Who knew that these two first wanted to have a BAGEL shop??? (I certainly didn't.) I loved that when they couldn't afford to pay the plumber they offered him a membership in the Ice Cream For Life club--which they invented on the spot.

I learned so much reading this one. And of course it didn't "feel" like learning. It just felt like pure fun and delight. 

I really enjoyed the text (for the most part). I wasn't as crazy about the art. The illustrations aren't my favorite style. But they don't have to be. It's not all about me. Reading is so subjective as is art. 

So I didn't love, love, love the last few pages of this one. It became a bit didactic--if that's the right word. It is my personal opinion that ice cream should not be political. That ice cream shouldn't get involved in "us" versus "them" cultural/social/political wars. I know we live in days where every single brand, every single company, every single business feels the need to have strong opinions on everything and show the world where they stand. I am not saying these last pages are a "big deal" or a "deal breaker." I'm not.

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: