Tuesday, February 15, 2022

30. The People's Painter


The People's Painter: How Ben Shahn Fought for Justice with Art. Cynthia Levinson. Illustrated by Evan Turk. 2021. [April] 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: From the time he could grasp a pencil, Ben Shahn yearned to draw everything he saw in his village in Lithuania.

Premise/plot: The People's Painter is a picture book biography of Ben Shahn. 

My thoughts: I love learning. I do. And picture books are a great format for learning new-to-me stories. I had never heard of Ben Shahn, a Jewish artist and activist before reading this award-winning picture book. I am SO glad I read it. I thought it was packed with information--in an age appropriate way. The art and text work together so well. (As you'd expect in a picture book about an artist.)


© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: