Thursday, February 10, 2022

25. Merry Christmas, Anne


Merry Christmas, Anne. Kallie George. Illustrated by Genevieve Godbout. 2021. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I'm so thankful for many things: feathery frosts and silvery seas, and wreaths as round as the moon. But especially for this Christmas. My first Green Gable's Christmas.

Premise/plot: Kallie George has been adapting Anne of Green Gable into an early chapter book series for young readers. This picture book is an adaptation from Anne of Green Gables as well. In this picture book, Anne receives a dress with puffed sleeves and also performs at a Christmas concert.

My thoughts: I have really loved, loved, loved the early chapter books. I didn't love this one as much. I think my expectations were too high. The scenes leading up to Matthew giving Anne the dress are among my absolute favorite in the novel. Truly I love and adore Matthew. And these scenes are so endearing. I remember these scenes so well. And one thing that I definitely remember is that the dress is BROWN. So I was very disappointed that the illustrations get the dress wrong. The dress is NOT yellow. It's just not. Now, I know that this should be a complete non-issue. I mean what difference does the color make in the grand scheme of things??? But it matters to me. I'm like that.

Chances are you won't be bothered by a few little things that aren't quite right (but almost right). The book has a comfy, cozy feel.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: