Monday, February 7, 2022

20. The Book of Hugs


The Book of Hugs. Tim Harris. Illustrated by Charlie Astrella. 2021. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Hi, I'm Teddy Bear Tim and I love hugs!

Premise/plot: Teddy Bear Tim loves to hug. And almost as much as actually hugging is talking about hugging.

My thoughts: Reading is subjective. 99.5% of books I feel will find their right reader that just really takes to the book and loves it. So I have no doubt that this one will entertain or 'charm' some readers some of the time.

This one didn't work for me personally. Again, reading is subjective. I don't know exactly why it didn't work for me. I do like teddy bears. I do like hugs. Maybe my expectations were too high?
Maybe I was just confused by the inclusion of monkeys in a book about hugs?

I think the charm being associated with this book is really towards the author. Readers familiar with Tim Harris' story are more likely to be charmed and delighted by the book.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: