Tuesday, June 29, 2021

72. Fox & Rabbit Make Believe


Fox & Rabbit Make Believe (Fox and Rabbit #2) Beth Ferry. Illustrated by Gergely Dudas. 2020. [September] 96 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Hooray! Hooray! We have all this money.

Premise/plot: Fox and Rabbit star in their second early-chapter-book-graphic-novel. (I haven't read the first one. But it didn't seem to be an issue in enjoying the second one). These two friends star in five stories: "Money, Marshmallows, & Mmmmmm," "Gum, Yum & Chum," "Swings, Wings & Scary Things," "Fall, Farm & Finicky," and "Friends & Fireflies." Most of the stories are fundamentally about celebrating 'make believe' or imagination. (Though even more FRIENDSHIP is celebrated.)

My thoughts: I really LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this one. I love Fox and Rabbit. (I might have a bit of a soft spot for Fox. I really love, love, love Sparrow. We are definite kindred spirits). I loved all the stories. I loved all the DETAILS. I loved the flow. It felt just right....and also joyous. My favorite story was the third one, "Swings, Wings & Scary Things." The two make a new friend (an owl) and they let their collective imagination get a bit out of hand. But all the stories are awesome.

It's always interesting to read other reviews before I hit publish on my post. I'm surprised that there are a couple people who see this one as boring and dull...but how that's okay because it's for children. But to each their own. Reading is subjective. But I found it delightful and fun. 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: