Thursday, May 20, 2021

55. Comparrotives


Board book: Comparrotives. Janik Coat.  2021. [June] 36 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Noisy....noisier

Premise/plot: Comparrotives is a nonfiction concept book for little ones 'teaching' about comparative adjectives. Each spread features a PARROT illustrating the two. Think: messy AND messier, sleepy AND sleepier, etc. The illustrations really make this book work.

My thoughts: Apparently this book is part of a larger series (thought not all star a parrot of course). Other books include Hippopposites, Rhymoceros, and Llamaphones.

I think the concept being taught could be appreciated by a wider audience than just toddlers and preschoolers. For example, when you're learning to write and compose in elementary school (first, second, third, etc.) I'm not sure school teachers would want a board book to illustrate the concept or not.

I thought the book was surprisingly funny. Perhaps if I'd read the other books in the series I'd have had a better idea what to expect.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: