Thursday, May 13, 2021

50. Something Stinks


Something Stinks. Jonathan Fenske. 2021. [June] 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Pee-yew! Something stinks! Can you smell that? No? Well, you sure are LUCKY.

Premise/plot: Young readers can join the narrator of Fenske's newest picture book (a skunk) to help track down what STINKS.

My thoughts: I loved this one. I did. Confession: I have really LOVED a couple of his past titles. He's the author of BARNACLE IS BORED one of my all time favorite, favorite, favorite, favorite books to read aloud. It makes such a GREAT read aloud. (Especially if you add in your own Jaws-themed music). So to be fair, I am slightly biased in thinking his books are funny and appealing.

I loved how the skunk is talking directly to readers. It reminds me of Mo Willem's Pigeon books. I love how packed it is with kid-humor. I can see how this would appeal to kids--I was reminded of the things I thought was hilarious when I was a kid--and I don't think it is so over-the-top obnoxious that adults will groan if they have to read it again again. (At least I wouldn't complain if I had to read it again again.)

It was an enjoyable read and one that I recommend.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: