Monday, March 22, 2021

33. My Mighty Marvel: Black Panther


Board book: Black Panther (My Mighty Marvel First Book) Marvel. 2020 [December] 24 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Meet Black Panther. He is very brave and a great leader. He is always the first to take dangerous missions!

Premise/plot: This board book introduces the Marvel superhero Black Panther. In just twenty-four pages, readers get an overview and some insight/context for enjoying this character.

My thoughts: There is a whole series of board books introducing all the superheroes: Incredible Hulk, Black Widow, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Thor, Spider Man, Captain America. Perhaps more will be forthcoming.

The board book is very much what you see is what you get. I think the strength is in the art itself. The art style is classic Marvel. (This is my best educated guess. I have never read Marvel comics. Though I have watched all the Marvel movies. The art style/costuming is different.)

Is it for children? Or is it for adult fans who want to share the love with children? I'm not sure I can answer that.

I think the books hold some appeal for fans regardless of age. I imagine elementary aged students would find the content appealing, but the format--a board book with flaps--off putting.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: