Wednesday, March 3, 2021

25. The Froggies Do NOT Want to Sleep


The Froggies Do NOT Want to Sleep. Adam Gustavson. 2021. [June] 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: The froggies do NOT want to sleep.

Premise/plot:  If the froggies do NOT want to sleep, then what do they want to do?!?! In Adam Gustavson's new picture book, readers find out just what these froggies DO want to do. 

My thoughts: It's not unusual to have picture books where young children--or ANIMALS--do NOT want to go to sleep. The Froggies Do NOT Want to Sleep is a fun addition to the group. It is silly, delightful, zany, odd. 

It didn't take many pages for me to start loving it. 

They want to hop. They want to practice their accordions and ride their unicycles...and play dress-up. 

Perhaps these froggies are inspired by the Muppet Show?!?! 

They want to sing opera while firing themselves out of cannons.

I loved the text--no doubt about it. I didn't love the illustrations...at least not as much as I'd hoped. I'd still recommend the book.

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: