Monday, November 18, 2019

Birth of the Cool: How Jazz Great Miles Davis Found His Sound

Birth of the Cool: How Jazz Great Miles Davis Found His Sound. Kathleen Cornell Berman. Illustrated by Keith Henry Brown. 2019. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Mornings in East St.Louis, Miles Davis sits as close as he can get to the radio.

Premise/plot: The Birth of the Cool is a picture book biography of jazz musician, Miles Davis. It is written in verse. I should add beautifully written in verse with compelling illustrations. It is the story not only of how he became a musician but how he became his own musician with a new, unique style.

My thoughts: I enjoy jazz. I do. I love that there are many picture book biographies of many different jazz artists and musicians both male and female. I am glad to see this one published on Miles Davis. Reading this one inspired me to listen to the album Birth of the Cool. I would recommend that as an extension activity for all ages. 


© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: