Monday, November 4, 2019

You Are My Friend

You Are My Friend: The Story of Mister Rogers and His Neighborhood. Aimee Reid. Illustrated by Matt Phelan. 2019. Harry N. Abrams. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: In the springtime, when everything was growing and green, Freddie Rogers had to stay inside.

Premise/plot: You Are My Friend by Aimee Reid is a picture book biography of Mr. Fred Rogers.

My thoughts: I have long wanted a picture book biography of Mr. Rogers. For years I have talked about the need for one. My expectations were super high since I love, love, love Mr. Rogers so very much. I thought the text of this one was good, very good. I loved some of the details it included about his childhood. I loved the emphasis on feelings and expressing your feelings. Exactly what you’d expect from a biography on Fred Rogers.

Text: 5/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Total: 9/10
© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: