Monday, November 11, 2019

I'm Not Grumpy

I'm Not Grumpy. Steve Smallman. Illustrated by Caroline Pedler. 2019. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Mouse was in a grumpy mood.

Premise/plot: I’m Not Grumpy is a predictable yet enjoyable storybook for parents to read aloud to their children. Mouse, our hero, is misunderstood, right? Surely he’s not grumpy! And perhaps he is slightly cranky at the start, but doesn’t he have a good reason? I mean who could be cheerful when you discover that a HUGE bottom (badger bottom) was blocking all of their front door?! But Mouse doesn’t stay grumpy, as his kindness increases, his grumpiness decreases.

My thoughts: I had high expectations for this one based on the cover alone. Yes, I judged this book by its cover. I was not at all disappointed with the illustrations. I loved, loved, loved them so much. That opening spread where we see the badger bottom, the adorably fuzzy badger bottom, was great. There are many scenes that I love. But the story itself was only so-so for me personally. I found it predictable, a tad moralizing, a bit wordy. I liked it well enough, but didn’t love it.

Text: 3/5
Illustrations: 5/5

Total: 8 out of 10 

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: