Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The Pigeon Has to Go to School

The Pigeon Has To Go To School. Mo Willems. 2019. [July] Disney-Hyperion. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: WAIT! Don't read that title! Too late. Rats...Why do I have to go to school? I already know EVERYTHING! Go on--ask me a question. Any question!

Premise/plot: The Pigeon is back in another picture book adventure. He's starred in MANY books including: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!; The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!; Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!; The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!; The Duckling Gets a Cookie?!; The Pigeon Needs a Bath! The Pigeon, our HERO, is trying to convince us readers that he does NOT need to go to school. NOT HIM. NO WAY. What will it take to get him to WANT to go to school?!?!

My thoughts: I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, CRAZY LOVE AND ADORE Mo Willems. I do. I especially love his Elephant and Piggie series. But I also love his Pigeon series. Especially The Pigeon Needs a Bath! and The Duckling Gets a Cookie?! This may be my new favorite in the Pigeon series. Though I will say this, the books build upon one another. It is definitely true that one doesn't have to read them in a particular order in order to enjoy them. BUT... The more Pigeon books you've shared with your little one, your young reader, in the past, the more you will LOVE and ENJOY this latest title. (You both will.)
Does "school" start in the morning?
Because you know what I'm like in the morning! It is NOT pretty. 
I think most can relate to Pigeon!

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10



© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: